Sarcasm and Whimsy

Life shouldn't be a trek to the grave with the idea of arriving safely in a nice, well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, whiskey & chocolate in hand, body used up, worn out & screaming, "WOO! WHAT A RIDE!"

Sometimes God tells you not to eat for a reason March 10, 2013

Filed under: Kids — ladyblayde @ 1:48 am

2am vomiting sucks. Even worse when it comes from fear (just had a hail storm). And for the trifecta, being alone to clean it up. Poor kid – there was no way she was making it to the bathroom! I’m just glad she made it out of my bed in time!

Advertisements
 

Motivation January 5, 2012

Filed under: Kids — ladyblayde @ 8:22 am
Tags:

Why is it that some days you wake up ready to take on the world, and the very next day the world can go screw it? I’ve been on fire this week – whittling my to do list down, while constantly adding to it. Today, I think I want to lay on the couch and read. Or watch tv. Or sleep.

Strangely enough, it used to be days like this are when I’d get the most done. I’d force myself to get off the couch to prove I’m not lazy, then one project leads to another to another. Then BOOM, it’s time to get the kids.

Anna’s at that age. She’s trying so hard to balance that fine line between being a little girl and being a young woman. She is taking longer in the morning to get dressed and is caring for her appearance more than I’ve seen her do before. Her moods can change on a dime. She’s testing her independence. It’s amazing to watch. And more than a little terrifying.

I still don’t know what to do about Eva. She is so afraid of the world. Phil says we need to expose her to her fears more often and use the “immersion” technique. I’m concerned it will push her off the deep end. On the other side of that – she has been trying to manipulate me quite a bit lately. I’m calling her bluff about 90% of the time. It’s the other 10% I need to work on. I’m just a softy when it comes to my kids.

 

Birthing pictures haunting me January 3, 2009

Filed under: Kids — ladyblayde @ 7:00 pm

So, it’s the new year.  I’m testing out this wordpress thing with the idea I might delete my myspace account and move over here instead.

Anna just told us she never wants to get married. The reason? She found a picture of her birth. Well, it was pretty graphic – Phil was getting ready to cut the umbilical cord and everything was plainly in view, blood and all. She said if she gets married, she knows that will happen to her, so she never wants to get married.

What the hell do I do with that information? I called Deb (my sister).

First of all, she told me that at this point, it’s not a bad thing that she thinks that. She begged me to show her 20 year old daughter that picture. Anyway, I put her on the phone with Anna and she told Anna that it was OK, she could become a nun if she wanted, or if she decided later to get married, that she was a nurse and knew other ways to get babies out. I also told her of our oldest sister Geri who is (more or less) married and has no kids.

She wants to be a zoological veternarian right now. Her Dad (horrified as he was at this whole conversation) told her that if she wants to be a zoo vet she’s going to see a lot of animals giving birth and she’d have to get over that. She said she was, but at the same time didn’t want to have it happen to her.

This was my first OMG WHAT DO I DO experience with my eldest. I thank God Deb was around so I could get her help. I still feel a bit … shocked? … and concerned that I scarred her for life by not  shredding those pictures into a million pieces and throwing them to the bottom of the trash can earlier than I did tonight.

Is it bedtime yet?

 

 
%d bloggers like this: